Within an hour from the Everglades and adjacent to the beach, there are a myriad of indoor and outdoor activities in and around Estero. For a day trip, we suggest:
- Edison & Ford Winter Estates is a museum filled with exhibits of the inventors’ creations. There is a rubber manufacturing laboratory and a botanical garden that houses various plants and trees that Edison collected, such as banyan trees and orchids.
- Sanibel Island is famous for its pastel-colored seashells, white beaches and wildlife refuge. Visitors can relax on the beach, see the animals, play golf and fish.
- Miromar Outlet Mall is a large outdoor shopping center with more than 140 designer and name-brand stores. There are many dining options and a covered play area for small children.
- The Koreshan State Historic Site is a former utopian colony site where the founder wished to build New Jerusalem. Now a state park, visitors can explore the grounds, learn about the Koreshan Unity and do many other outdoor activities.
- The Imaginarium Science Center is a hands-on museum with a 3D movie center, fossil dig area and touch tank with stingrays, starfish and turtles. There is also a thunderstorm and hurricane simulator and weatherman studio for children of all ages.